Ant Cities, Arthur Dorros, NY: HarperCollins, 1986.
- Draw an oversize likeness of an ant. Label all the body parts.
- Investigate the possibility of setting up an ant farm.
- Locate and read Two Bad Ants. Extend the story with additional adventures which might have occurred.
- Using the library’s catalog, research information about ants. Some possible sources: The Amazing World of Ants, Ants, Ants Are Fun, Hidden Messages, The Ants, Hey, Little Ant, The Ant Bully, Ants at Work: How an Insect Society is Organized, Journey to the Ants: A Story of Scientific Exploration.
- Check out a book or recording of “The Ants Go Marching” and have a group learn to sing it. Create other verses.
- Learn about the social organizations of other animals, for example: bees, other insects, or elephants (Elephant Families), and explore differences and similarities with ants.
Special thanks to Anne Morrison and Sue Penny, Librarians, El Paso Independent School District.